Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What I have been through..

I am in an advanced photography class at Paint Valley High School. I have been in a photography class all four years of high school. My freshman year when I took my first photography class, we took pictures with completely manual cameras. We rolled and developed our own film. We also used our darkroom that we have in the classroom. We printed all of our pictures in black and white. By the end of the first nine weeks of school, I realized that photography is something that I could see myself doing all the time.
My second year in photography we were still doing all of the same developing and printing techniques. This year was very different though. In the first year we had strict projects that we had to shoot. This time, we were able to use our minds and do a couple of free projects. This let us take pictures of the things we found interesting. It was then that I found my weird and creative mind.
The third year of photography I started doing color photographs. This was very different and started getting me to take pictures of nature. I see nature being beautiful when it is in color. There are colors in nature that are so vibrant that they just shouldn't be hidden in black and white photographs. We also started to scan some of our film to a computer and be introduced to Photoshop. Here is where my random mind set wild. I loved taking certain things out of one picture and putting them into another one and make it seem as if that object was actually there.
This current year, I am finally into the digital era. I am on the yearbook staff at my high school and I was asked to take a majority of the pictures that go in it. Our yearbook advisor purchased a very nice Nikon camera that I have been able to take with me everywhere I go. I love being able to take multiple pictures of something and look at them right away and make sure I have at least one good image out of the six or seven I took. I think that the thing I like most about the digital pictures is that I don't have to worry about messing up any of the developing processes.

No comments: